Tampa International Airport, in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, including the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and the Florida Americans with Disability Accessibility Requirements found in Section 503 of the Florida Statutes, does not discriminate on the basis of disability in administration of its aviation related programs and activities.
Things You Should Know
To help you plan your visit in advance of your trip, use this Web site to identify and locate accessible services. If you are not accompanied by, or met at the airport by, a friend or relative, it is important that you contact your airline in advance and request the assistance you may require. Assistance provided by the airlines includes access to the terminal, boarding the aircraft, wheelchair needs, specific seat assignments, medication storage, or certain kinds of foods. Confirm the request prior to your departure day.
Wheelchair service is provided by the airlines through their respective Skycap service providers. To ensure availability and timely service, it is strongly recommended that this service be reserved in advance. However, service can be requested from the airline at the ticket counter and curbside check-in locations on the day of travel. Wheelchair service is available from airline curbside and/or ticket counter locations to their respective aircraft gate areas.
Parking for passengers with disabilities is available 24 hours a day in all Airport parking areas including Short Term, Long Term, and Economy parking. Upon entering the parking facility please follow standard signage symbols for designated disabled parking spaces commonly located adjacent to nearby elevators. Parking facilities feature:
For those passengers with special needs parking in Economy parking, we offer convenient free shuttle bus service, which is wheelchair accessible, providing service to the main terminal. For additional information, contact the Parking Company (AMPCO) 24 hours a day at (813) 870-8791.
- Clearly designated disabled parking spaces
- Disabled vehicle parking at Terminal (covered parking up to 7' 10" ft. high clearance)
- Vehicles over 7' 10" ft. in height and equipped with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls or that have a State of Florida Toll Exemption Permit please call the parking office at 813-870-8791 for parking instructions.
- Disabled vehicle parking at Economy (covered parking up to 8 ft. high clearance, and un-covered lot parking up to 13 ft. high clearance)
- Curb cuts, ramps, level entrances, elevators and automatic doors
- Monorail service from Long Term parking level 5 to main terminal, accessible from all levels of Long Term parking and the main terminal via elevator service.
- Push button emergency and assistance phones located throughout the parking facilities at elevator lobbies for immediate assistance.
Handicap Parking Notice:
Standard Parking Rates apply except that the Airport provides free parking in accordance with section 316.1964 of the Florida Statutes which requires that free parking be maintained in airport parking facilities for those vehicles with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, or which display the State of Florida Toll Exemption Permit.
You can access all high traffic areas of the airport including parking, ticketing, baggage claim, and the airside transfer level by elevators. Generally speaking, if you see an escalator, there is an elevator nearby. Elevators are located near entrance and exit doors for easy access to all terminal levels.
Monorail and Shuttle Transportation
To travel between the Long Term parking facility and the main terminal for access to the ticketing, baggage claim, and airside transfer levels use the convenient Monorail transportation system located on the 5th level. This service is free and is ADA compliant with elevator service from all levels of Long Term parking and the main terminal.
To travel between the main terminal and the aircraft gate areas of the airsides use the convenient Shuttle transportation system located on the 3rd level of the main terminal. This service is free and is ADA compliant with elevator service from all levels of the main terminal.
All public restrooms located throughout the Airport are wheelchair accessible. In addition, "Companion Restrooms" equipped for the disabled, are located at various locations throughout the Airport. Look for the internationally recognized wheelchair accessible symbol.
Travelers with special needs have numerous ground transportation options at the Airport.
- Taxis: Yellow Cab and United Cab taxis are available with wheelchair lifts. Patrons in need of this service should request an equipped taxi upon arrival at the baggage claim Ground Transportation area. Please allow a reasonable amount of additional time to call an equipped vehicle. Drivers will assist patrons with baggage.
- Shared-Ride Van Service: SuperShuttle has vans available with wheelchair lifts. Passengers seeking to reserve a wheelchair lift equipped shared-ride van may contact SuperShuttle at (727) 572-1111, or see the representative at the baggage claim Ground Transportation kiosk to request an accessible van. Please allow a reasonable amount of additional time to call an equipped vehicle. Drivers will assist patrons with baggage.
- Car Rentals: With advance notice, most car rental companies provide rental cars equipped with hand controls. Contact your rental car company for further details.
- Public Transportation: Hillsborough Area Regional Transit (HART) provides transit service throughout the Tampa metropolitan area and is fully accessible to people who use wheelchairs or motorized scooters. HART service at the Airport is located at the East end of red baggage claim, at the curbside adjacent to baggage belt #15.
TTY and TDD telephones are designed to accommodate passengers with special needs and are located at selected telephone locations throughout the Airport. Each unit is marked with the international symbol for TTY/TDD. Passengers may also contact the Florida Relay Service from any telephone for directory assistance at:
- 800-955-8770 (voice)
- 800-955-8771 (TTY)
At Tampa International Airport, the relief areas for pets/service animals at the landside building are located in the “grassy areas” across the vehicle drives of the arrival (baggage claim) and departure (ticketing) areas. We recommend owners take advantage of the above locations if possible.
In our working relationships with the TSA and airlines we have also establish “service animal relief areas” in the vicinity of the airsides, as using the landside areas were not practical for passengers/service animals in the sterile area past the screening checkpoint. For service animals needs in the sterile area past the screening checkpoint, please contact your airline for further information and access.
Security measures at Tampa International Airport restrict public access beyond the main terminal shuttle lobbies to ticketed passengers only going to the airside screening checkpoints and aircraft gates. However, airlines may grant permission for persons with special needs to be accompanied by a health care assistant or guardian. If someone wishes to accompany a special needs person to or from an aircraft gate, they must obtain permission from the airline.
The Aviation Authority is committed to providing equal traveling opportunities for the disabled traveling public, applicants, participants, employees and other interested persons. The traveling public and other persons as listed above who believe they have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability, or have been denied access to services or accommodations required by law should contact the Tampa International Airport ADA Coordinator at (813) 554-1450.
Please view the Authority's ADA Policy Notice. If you have a complaint, fill out, mail or fax the ADA Complaint Resolution Form.